It’s not always easy to tell whether you can get by with a simple roof repair or if you need to take the plunge and invest in a full roof replacement. One thing that will play a big part in which move you make is the type of roof you have on your home or business since certain materials last longer than others. There’s also the actual problem itself to consider. Depending on what’s going on with your roof, it may be better to take one route over the other.
What’s nice about roofs is that they’re a lot like tires. If you get a nail in your tire, you can get it patched. If a shingle falls off your roof, you can get it replaced — no big deal. That is, unless your tire has popped and you need a new one, or your roof is leaking so badly that you need a new one. Much like a tire problem can’t be avoided, a roof problem can’t be avoided, either, and it’s best to get it taken care of as quickly as possible, whether that means a repair or a replacement.
Signs You Need Roof Repair
Not all roof problems require a total roof overhaul, which means you might actually save yourself money in the long-run if you call your roofer sooner rather than later. This way, they can fix the problem before it gets any bigger and costs a lot more.
Roof repair signs include:
- Your roof should keep you safe and dry, but if it’s leaking, there’s a reason, and it’s probably a cracked flashing. It could also be due to broken shingles, improper sealing, or clogged gutters.
- The whole point of a roof is to push water away from your home and its foundation, so pooling water is a bad sign. If you notice it and don’t take care of it immediately, your roof won’t cave in, but it’s important to understand that regular pooling can cause leaks and other issues that will need attention right away.
- If your shingles are curling, your roof has seen better days. There’s nothing wrong with replacing shingles on occasion, but regularly curling shingles usually mean leaking is just around the corner (and a new roof, too).
- In a perfect world, your roof would be put on sturdily and safely so you don’t have to think twice about it. Unfortunately, improper installation, and even time, can cause materials like shingles and nails to loosen and fall off, conjuring up other problems that will need to be addressed.
Signs You Need Roof Replacement
Because some roofing materials last longer than others, it takes a trained eye to determine whether a roof really needs to be replaced. And we hate to break it to you, but just because you’re well within your roof’s projected 20-year lifespan doesn’t mean you don’t need a replacement. The fact is that, throughout the year, your roof keeps you sheltered from many different weather conditions. In Florida, this includes extreme heat in the summer months and high winds during hurricane season, so environmental factors — and general weather patterns of your area — play a big part in how quickly you’ll need a new roof.
Roof replacement signs include:
- Most roofs can last a decade, easily, with little-to-no problems. But if your roof is more than 20 years old, or has had multiple repairs done on it lately, it’s time to start thinking about a new one.
- Sagging means your structure is not sound, and it tends to happen to older roofs that were constructed with rafters instead of trusses. If you see sagging, it’s caused by material failure, and a sagging roof can cave or collapse, putting your family in danger and your belongings at risk of being destroyed.
- Moss can be found all over the place, including on top of your roof, but it shouldn’t stay there. Moss is normally followed by mold and fungi, which means trapped moisture, a ruined roof, and potential health issues.
- You’re not supposed to be able to see the great outdoors through your roof. So if you can see sunlight through a peek in your attic, that means your home is open to rain, hail, bugs, and other things. If this is the case, then you can expect the lifespan of your roof to rapidly decrease and bring other issues along the way.
Roofs are tricky, and they’re easy to forget about until they’re having problems that make your property uninhabitable! If you’re experiencing one or more of these things on your roof, it’s best to bring in a pro to help you figure out what your next step should be.
Providing Roof Repair to Those in Ponte Vedra
The reality is that many homeowners ignore or neglect minor roof issues in an attempt to wait a while as long as the damage isn’t too extreme. This is especially true during times like these, when you may be even more hesitant to have a roofing company come out. The problem with this strategy is that it tends to backfire. It’s better to be proactive than reactive when it comes to your roof. When you do it this way, you often have the advantage of spotting problems before they get too overwhelming or expensive, so you can save yourself a bunch of time, money, and headaches.
If you could use some help deciding if you need roof repair or roof replacement for your home or business, get in touch with our team today to schedule a free evaluation. At HW Roofing, our services are available to those in St. Augustine, Nocatee, Ponte Vedra, Jacksonville, and the surrounding communities in Northeast FL.